October 11 2017

It is time to find your direction and join the Workforce
Thomas Hoffman M.S., Master Career Counselor uses a variety of proven techniques and testing with counseling to help you uncover your strengths and focus on your career goals. Expert services offered for clients in High School, College, Mid-Career changers and Workforce Return. Take control of your destiny and explore your potential! Your career is a major part of your life and it affects you as a whole person and your path to self-fulfillment. Email careerexplorers@msn.com or call 818.661.3611.

Today in History
Space Shuttle Challenger astronaut Kathryn Sullivan became the first American woman to walk in space. (1984)
Emergency Nurses Day
It’s My Party Day

Woodcrest Middle School Open House
October 19th at 7pm
If you believe that your child needs a smaller private middle school experience filled with fun electives, differentiated learning, collaborative thinking, and caring teachers; come see Woodcrest School in Tarzana. Call Deanna Newman, Admissions, at 818-345-3002 for more info.
6043 Tampa Ave. in Tarzana

Martial Arts Lessons or Kickboxing Classes for the ENTIRE family
We’ve been going to http://teamkaratecenter.com for 9+ yrs & I HIGHLY recommend it! Martial Arts Teacher Fariborz Azhakh has been teaching in WH for 30+ yrs & is now in a BRAND NEW location in Woodland Hills. He teaches & practices smart fitness, family unity, and the practice of “self-defense” that includes healthy eating, bully prevention education, anger management, & lessons in developing compassion and respect for self and others. Call 818-704-0606 for more info!

Artist workshop: Origin Stories
Sunday, October 22nd from 12-3pm
This workshop is recommended for youth and adults ages 12+. In conjunction with: Día de Los Muertos: A Cultural Legacy, Past, Present and Future, artists Jerri Allyn and Nicole Rademacher present a workshop designed to empower the participants to make and record their own origin stories. Join them in touring the exhibition, creating stories, and making cards.

Awareness Film Festival
Now-Oct. 15th
The Awareness Film Festival takes place L.A. Live in downtown LA, with state of the art theaters for the optimal viewer experience. Convenient parking, adjacent to the Grammy Museum, fabulous restaurants, shops and more make it a great day for the whole family. This year’s Awareness Film Festival includes a lineup of extraordinary films on consciousness raising subjects from award winning filmmakers.

Venders Wanted for the ONEgeneration – A Non-Profit Intergenerational Daycare Fall Boutique
Sunday, October 22nd from 8am-1pm
The boutique will be sharing space with The Encino Farmers Market which hosts approximately 2000 people every Sunday. All proceeds from the day will go directly to the vendor. The registration fees in turn will support continued senior services at ONEgeneration. If interested, contact Jodi Jacobsen at jjacobsen@onegeneration.org.

Free Advertising to Local Businesses
The BLVD Card is coming back! A few years ago, The BLVD Card was started as a way for local businesses to advertise by offering a discount or offer to local customers who could search or be directed to the deals through social media and take advantage of them for free. The idea is that the consumer can use their phone or a printable card to redeem the offer. It is free to local businesses to grow traffic. Email steve@theblvdcard.com for more info.

de Toledo High School Open House for Prospective Families
Sunday, November 5th at 10am
This college prep Jewish high school pairs academic rigor with a culture of kindness. Discover why de Toledo High School is right for you! Meet the innovative faculty, coaches, college counselors, students, parents, and alumni. Tour the beautiful campus featuring 100,000 sq. ft. of state-of-the-art indoor and outdoor learning spaces, science labs, MakerSpace, visual and performing arts studios, gymnasium, and pool. RSVP to www.dths.org/OpenHouse.
22622 Vanowen Street. in West Hills

Vacation Timeshares for Rent
Large 1 Bedroom Timeshare at Top Rated Kona Coast Resort Available New Years 2018
Dec. 29th-Jan. 5th
Includes a full kitchen, large living area and dining area and huge bathroom. It is situated on the Kona Golf Course and overlooks the Pacific Ocean. The resort has 2 pools and a kiddie pool, a full fitness center, tennis courts, sand volleyball, a playground, a restaurant, activities center and is walking distance to beaches. Walking distance to the Keauhou Center. Asking $1,400(savings of over $1000). Email chuckdodi@aol.com for more info.
AND
Luxurious 1 bedroom suite at Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Dec. 17th-24th – 8 days/7 nights
Recipient of the Five Diamond Award, Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta offers one of the most exclusive and luxurious vacation experiences in Mexico. Grand Luxxe is the most premium part of the amazing Vidanta resort which features 20 restaurants, 27 pools, Lazy River, Water Park, huge water slide, 2 wave pools, swimmable ocean, Kids Club, beautiful spa and 2 golf courses. Accommodation is one-bedroom, one-and-a-half bathroom suite with one king-sized bed, gourmet kitchen, living room with sleeper sofas, dining room, and terrace with private plunge pool. Accommodates 4 adults and 2 children. Contact lepstein25@gmail.com for more information. $3,000(OBO) for the entire week.

Looking for a Super Fun Birthday Spot?
Check out Rocket Fizz! Mention Jen’s List and receive complimentary Fresh Cotton Candy service at your event.

Support Group for Patients, Parents, Caregivers Who Are Coping With IBD
2nd Thursday of every month at 7pm at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Advanced Health Sciences Pavilion
This is a place for all affected by IBD to learn about how others are coping. In a supportive and safe environment, topics  discussed include:
*Social and relationship issues
*School issues
*Workplace issues
*How to explain your disease to friends and family
*The importance of taking care of ourselves as caregivers and patients
*Share coping strategies for flares
The goal of our Connections program is for participants to feel less alone, more connected, and understood by others experiencing similar issues.

Calabasas High School Tour Open To LVUSD & Current Permits Families ONLY
Oct. 25th from 9:30-11am
Calabasas High School students are active in student government and leadership, clubs, drama presentations and musical performances, an award-winning instrumental music program, yearbook, school newspaper, and a highly competitive interscholastic sports league. To sign up to attend, go to www.calabasashigh.net -> Information -> Campus Tours.

Intuitive Healing Massage
Blockages are showing in the body in a few ways:
1.Pain in certain areas of your body.
2.Heaviness and feeling tired.
3.Depression.
In a session, using magnets, Healing Energy, Craniosacral and Essential oils energy may be released and you can feel ease and able to release pain. Pain has an emotional and spiritual component. Find out where is the pain coming from. Being aware of the source can help heal it forever. Call 818-448-0552.

16 must-reads for single parents

Cartoon Network: 25 Years of Drawing on Creativity
October 14th-November 19th from 12-5pm
Visitors will experience the creative process from sketch to screen and beyond with an in-depth look at Steven Universe, enjoy special exhibits including stop-motion sets from Adventure Time, and have photo ops with sculptures from The Powerpuff Girls and Cartoon Network’s newest hit OK K.O.! Let’s Be Heroes! Free admission.

The 5th Annual Pants Off Racing
Saturday, November 4th at Malibu Creek State Park
Pants Off Racing’s mission is to provide service to those lives affected by pancreatic cancer through time, energy, and goodwill; to integrate and unite generations, through sport participation, while creating public awareness about pancreatic cancer. POR gets its name from Nancy Pants Amato – diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2006 and given only 6 months to live. Her remarkable fight with this disease has shown how powerful the outreach by family and friends really is. We are here to share that same support to others struggling with the hardships of pancreatic cancer and do whatever we can do make a laugh and fight this thing.

The Night Before: A Test Anxiety Solution
Friday, October 27th from 6-7:30pm
Test prep expert Josh Eckhaus and meditation chick Hilary Jackendoff will teach your teen how to slow her pulse, focus her mind, help her get a good night’s sleep and–once the SAT or ACT test begins–keep her from getting in her own way. $35 early/$40 late.

Children’s Halloween Party
Sunday, Oct. 28th from 2-3:30pm
Calling all ghosts, goblins, Jedi knights and princesses. Come to the Sherman Oaks Library for a fun celebration of Halloween. This is a children’s event, however, adults are invited to accompany their children.

Oak Park Community Garden Open House
Saturday, October 14th from 10am-4pm
Fruit & veggies you grow yourself? Yum! Learn about organic gardening, interact with like-minded gardeners, & be part of a great community. Give your kids an opportunity to see where their food comes from; gain a sense of achievement and more! Oak Park Community Garden, located on the northwest corner of Kanan Road and Sunnycrest Drive, how has parcels available. Dogs on leashes always welcome.

Volunteer Opportunity: Advocate for a child
Saturday, Oct. 21st from 10-11:15am
A Court Appointed Special Advocate (or CASA) volunteer makes a difference for children in the dependency system. CASA volunteers are paired to work one-on-one with a child and ensure they have the services and support needed in the areas important to all children: stable placement, education, and healthcare. The first step toward becoming a CASA volunteer is attending a one-hour information session.