Saturday September 25, 2010

Sunnyside Preschool Open in Sherman Oaks
Sunnyside’s unique approach to play-based developmental programs encourages curiosity, imagination, and social skills. The teachers inspire a love for learning that fosters the social, emotional, physical, creative, and cognitive growth of each child. As the children extend play beyond themselves, they learn what it means to be part of a group and to share their world with others.  Activities include art, community garden, woodworking, yoga, music, and Spanish. Child to teacher ratio is 6:1. Hours are 9 am to 3 pm (8:30 am early drop off and enrichment classes to 4pm). For more info or to take a tour, call 818-785-8574.
14125 Burbank Blvd. in Sherman Oaks

Today in History
* Sandra Day O’Connor became the first female Supreme Court Justice. (1981)
* Family health and fitness day
http://www.kids-list.com/Blog.aspx?blog=165

UBU™ personalized products
Allows customers to design one of a kind products (such as gift stickers, address labels, memo pads, note cards) that resemble family, friends and even a pet. They are loved by Moms, Teachers, Grandparents and Kids and make great gifts for any occasion or person. UBU™ is offering a Special Gift Sticker and Address Label promotion just for Jen’s List readers. Just go to www.ubumoms.com and click on Jen’s List under “sign in” to receive the promotion.

Gotta Have S’more

Add Some Spunk to Your Parties, Meetings and Gifts! FREE 4 PACK WITH PURCHASE! Celebrate Gotta Have S’more’s feature in CRAVE LA – http://tiny.cc/bpe3a where they are alongside LA’s most stylish, gutsiest & inspiring women entrepreneurs. Local delivery and pick up is available. Call 1-888-95-SMORE or Order at www.GottaHaveSmore.com.

Math Homework Help
Mathnasium offers a “High School Homework Help Hour” for students working on Algebra, Geometry and higher math at a fraction of the cost of private tutoring. This “Tutoring Plus” program allows students the use of supplemental Mathnasium material if needed, but primarily provides help with the work they bring from school. There is no assessment and enrolled high school students have an unlimited drop-in option three days a week. Call (805) 777-8403 for details.
www.mathnasium.com

Is Your Smart Child Having Difficulty In School? Looking For Answers?
Do you suspect your child may have inadequately developed academic skills that hold him back?
Are you frustrated because you’ve tried tutoring and your child is still having difficulty learning?
Has your child given up because of repeated failure?
Are you worried your child might not be accepted to college?
If your child has special learning needs such as ADD, ADHD, autism, or learning disabilities, you can get the answers you are looking for and find out how educational therapy can help your child succeed in school. Miller Educational Excellence is hosting a free informational night and tour on September 30th.  For more info and to RSVP: http://millereducationalexcellence.com/educational-therapist-los-angeles/parent-information-nights

Trends in Childrens/Teens Vision:
Fans are copying Lady Gaga’s eyes from the “Bad Romance” video with illegal contact lenses.
Children as young as 8 years old’s quality of life improves with contact lenses.
Cutbacks in school budgets increases the likelihood of undetected vision problems and learning problems
http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/15ae9f18-b1c6-4952-a1cb-2673120bf1ac/News/KTLA-Eye-Care-Issues
The dangers of sharing make up:
http://www.oprah.com/style/Is-Your-Makeup-Making-You-Sick
www.HollywoodVision.com

Seeking Vendors
Holiday Boutique in Thousand Oaks
Nov. 6th from 8am to 2pm @ Boys and Girls Club
1980 E. Avenida de las Flores, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362.
Outdoor space available for $65. Please email conejovalleymom@yahoo.com for an application
www.conejovalleymoms.org
AND
Holiday Boutique at Newbury Park HS

Nov. 6th from 7 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Table fee is $75 or $80 if you want them to provide a table. Venue is outdoors. Vendors must provide business insurance rider/endorsement for the day. Will benefit the Cross Country team. Contact sochurley@gmail.com for application.

Looking for outgoing Los Angeles women who deserve a healthy living makeover!
Holly Robinson-Peete & Reveille (the producers of Tabatha’s Salon Takeover, The Biggest Loser, Masterchef and The Office) ask:
Are you so busy with life that you find it difficult to be as healthy, beautiful or stylish as you can be?
If you live in the general Los Angeles area, submit today! Submit the following to realitytelevisioncasting@gmail.com:
1. Name and Age
2. Contact Information (Phone #)
3. Current Pictures
4. Location
Stipend: $150.00 + Makeover

Day Care Leads
Sheri’s Corner new developmental in-home childcare center
Referred by Jens List member specialkidslaw@gmail.com and amytilene@gmail.com
Specializing in infants and toddlers but loving and welcoming all children. Sheri Buch was an early childhood educator for 17 years in the west San Fernando Valley, specializing in social and emotional growth.  Located in a safe and quiet Northridge neighborhood, Sheri’s Corner is the perfect way for you to be at work, while leaving your worries behind. Call (818)739-1453 for more info!
AND
Martin Family Child Care
Child care in a WLA/MAR VISTA home.  Ages newborn -4 years.  Licensed for 20 years. 2 full time caregivers for 8 children.  CPR/FIRST AID certified. Open year round Monday – Friday. Lots of TLC and fun!  Large fully enclosed grassy yard plus 2 playrooms. Many references upon request. Email Bevmartin1@verizon.net
AND
Loving Licensed Family Daycare
14 Years experience with 33 units of Child Development and CPR Certified Eco Friendly, Green and Organic Environment; Ages 1 month to 6 years Moms Welcome to drop in during their lunch hours to Breastfeed. Monday – Friday 6am to 6pm (also do 7pm to 5am) Weekend Hourly Rates Available Hot Homemade Organic meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks)- Large indoor outdoor play areas- -Music, Dance, Art, Sand and Water Play- located in quiet upscale residential area in Porter Ranch 5 minutes from CSUN, North of 118 Freeway  Email susanwoman@verizon.net  or callt (818) 366-6815 Susan or Christine
AND
Keff Li Jewish in home day care in Valley Village

Openings for 10 months – 2 1/2 years
Aliza Eli runs an amazing kosher daycare in her home. Full and part time options 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. Please call Aliza Eli (818) 506 8450. Referred by Joanna Belson(joannabelson@yahoo.com)
AND
LICENSED FAMILY CHILD DAYCARE
Quality Child Daycare is located in a safe, residential neighborhood in Sherman Oaks. A fun, nurturing and creative environment. Individual care and attention. A dependable, loving and caring caregiver with14 years of experience. Nutritious home-cooked meals and snacks. Enclosed large yard for outdoor activities. Art, music, and dance. Preschool program. Certified CPR/First Aid. State licensed #197416352. For more information please call 323-788-1024

Back to School 101- Tips from Little Capers
http://www.littlecapers.com/back_to_school_tips.html

Smart Dogs Dog Training
Jeff Todd with SMART DOGS is a professional dog trainer, and coach to owners and their families. With 20+ years of experience, with 1000’s of dogs, he can help you with any training or problem solving needs. Jeff stresses that, “a trained dog is a happy dog because through learning commands he or she can clearly understand what is expected, instead of looking at us like we’re Charlie Brown’s teacher.” Training courses consist of the most common and useful commands for everyday life with your dog, and you will learn safe, positive, and reliable methods for developing an obedient and reliable SMART DOG. Jen’s List Member, Karen Gold who used Jeff’s services said “After trying three other dog trainers, we contacted Jeff, who quickly & successfully trained our dog! We can’t believe how responsive and well behaved our German Shepherd is now, and we highly recommend him.” Call Jeff @ (818) 968-9422 or email jeff@smartdogsdogtraining.com. Jeff offers a discounted in-home evaluation and consultation for Jen’s list members.
www.smartdogsdogtraining.com

Sign Language for Babies at A Mother’s Haven in Encino
Want to know what your baby is thinking?  You can find out!  Signing with your baby reduces frustration for both mom and baby.  Learn over 50 ASL signs, as well as fun games and activities to learn & remember the signs, in the upcoming 6-week session. Wednesdays 10am (starts 9/29) or Saturdays 11am (starts 10/2) – call 818-380-3111 to register or find more info at www.shopthehaven.com!

Baby Nurse Providing Overnight Newborn Care
If you are an expectant or new mom looking for a qualified Baby Nurse/Newborn Specialist, to help you with night care, Vonda provides newborn care services, and is an expert in all things baby. She is available for overnight shifts of 10, 9 or 8 hours. She is also available for day shifts of no more than 6 hours. For more info call 310-339-1749.

Carmen’s Kids & Co. “Rockin’ hair”

New clients get $4 off
Moms & Dads 1/2 OFF just for giving them a try
Multiple child discounts $2.00 OFF 2nd
AND…. 1/2 OFF 3rd,4th, etc.
Just say you saw it on Jen’s List.
17213 Ventura Blvd. in Encino 
(818) 501-4472
www.Carmenskidsandco.com

Weekly Oneness Blessing (Deeksha)
Every Tuesday from 8:00 pm – 9:00 pm
The Oneness Blessing is an act of energy transfer by touch or by the power of intent. It results in a growth in consciousness by creating a shift in the perception and experience of life. It is a non-denominational experience that awakens your connection with the oneness in everything, allowing you to deepen your relationship with yourselves, with those you love and with all that is. Cost: Love Offering. After Deeksha everyone will gather for food and community. For those who feel they would resonate and benefit from this divine energy. For more information on the Oneness Blessing visit www.onenessuniversity.org
22432 13th Street in Santa Clarita, CA 91321 (Home of Picasso’s Playmates- Art Studio)
Contact: Stacey (661) 287-6115 or scvoneness@gmail.com

2nd Annual Crop for the Cure
Saturday, October 2nd – 12:00 noon to midnight
Calling all scrapbookers!  Register & collect donations for this 12-hour scrapbooking marathon event and help raise funds for The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Your $50 non-refundable registration fee includes 12 hours of cropping, 4 feet of table space, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinks & dessert. Swag bags for each participant already valued at over $350 worth of scrapbooking & spa merchandise! Come join your friends and create a memory book you’ll always treasure – for a great cause!
In Touch Massage & Day Spa in Thousand Oaks
Call 805-778-1771 for more information and registration!

Free Parenting CD “Help!  My Kid Just Won’t Listen”
http://gilabrown.com/home.php

Faces By Fern
MICRODERMABRASION Facial-Only $85 for September & October- Mention Jens List. See improved elasticity, smoother skin & an immediate difference after the first treatment. Reveal new cells, increase blood flow & collagen production. Best results seen after a series of treatments & monthly maintenance.  A treatment plan will be discussed at time of your appointment.   Purchase a series of treatments and save 10%. See website for full menu of services for Women, Men & Teens.
www.facesbyfern.com

French Classes for Kids
L’Alliance Francaise de Los Angeles present French classes for 3 to 5 years (preschool) every morning from 9am to 12:30pm you can choose from 1day a week to 5 days a week, we have some classes on Saturdays too. Also Mommy and me classes are available in French.  All teaches are French native. Call Sonia 310-652-0306 for more info.
http://www.learnhowtospeakfrench.org/childrenfall1.html

Ageless Fitness Classes
Boomers and Seniors WELCOME! Your body is a priority – no excuse is good enough to miss out on fitness! Upbeat, thorough group workouts with Riva, UCLA’s Outstanding Trainer 2004 and Certified Health & Fitness Specialist with American Council On Exercise. Fully matted studio, welcoming atmosphere. Whatever your level of fitness, you will benefit from these workouts. Private Training.
Contact 818.606.8895 / rivafit@aol.com for more info.
12418 Ventura Blvd, Studio City 91604
www.riva.com

The Ultimate Baby Shower Game!
Just like the old fashion game of pin the tail on the donkey, this new & exciting version will thrill your friends & family at your next baby shower! Offer prizes to the person who can pin the sperm on the egg! Add silly photos of the husband to each sperm and one of the wife to the egg! A very funny game, everyone will enjoy it! You don’t need any other game at your party! This one will take the cake!
www.PinTheSpermOnTheEgg.com

Adult & Child Dance Classes
Lisa Cuizon offers beginning to advanced ballet classes for ages 3 through adults at the Cuizon Ballet Centre.  Lisa is a former professional ballerina who trained w/ Melissa Hayden.  Her classes are exhilarating, challenging, and inspirational. Visit www.cuizonballet.com or call 805-494-8800 for more info. 2977 Willow Lane, Suite 200 in Thousand Oaks

Print Girls
Print Girls owners Lauren Corton and Janine Stange have over 20 years of combined experience, and the ability to service all of your Printing, Packaging, Design, & Promotional Products needs. In appreciation for what Jen’s List does for its community of readers, they are offering a 10% discount for the month of October. Be sure to mention JensList when ordering.
www.printgirls.com and www.printgirlspromo.com

Online Baby Boutique
Save 10% storewide at their online boutique on Aden & Anais, Angel Dear, Barefoot Dreams, Little Giraffe, Noodle & Boo, and SwaddleDesigns.  Expires Sept. 30, 2010.
www.CaliforniaCozy.com

Join “TumbaLA Kids” Dance Ensemble at The World Garden!
TumbaLA Kids is an exciting group of young dancers ages 6-13 who learn and perform dance styles from Cuba, Brazil, the U.S., Africa, and beyond.  Community Performances ongoing.  Class/Rehearsals Fridays 3:15-4:15.  $12/class.  No experience necessary.  For more info, contact Jami Carter 310-344-6279, theworldgarden@hotmail.com or visit www.theworldgardenla.com.

Wanted: People Who Love to Decorate
Are you looking for a Business Opportunity? An interior designer is presently building a team of consultants who want to increase the comfort and beauty in their lives and the lives of others. Training provided. An exciting income opportunity! Call Jo-Ann for more details @ 818-259-2752.
http://www.privatequarters.net/JoAnn

Piano Lessons!
Private piano lessons in Woodland Hills by Ariella Vaccarino.  Teacher for 18 years.  Every lesson is geared to the specific student she is teaching down to music selection.  Ariella is warm and friendly and loves to help bring music into people’s lives. She also can split the lessons between voice and piano as well as between siblings. Call 818) 593-2038, visit http://web.me.com/sso2005/Site/Ariella_Vaccarino.html or email her at ariella@voicelessonstogo.com.

Store Grand Opening -“Addison’s Enchanted Armoire”
Addison’s Enchanged Armoire is relocating to a new space inside of the Westfield Promenade Mall in Woodland Hills (Note: They are in the Mall with the AMC Theaters)  Some of you know them as “From Scratch Designs”  Baby, Children, Teen, & Moms Euro & Boutique Clothing. Deux Par Deux, Room Seven, Kingsley, etc
6100 Topanga Canyon Blvd #2120 in Woodland Hills
http://www.fromscratchdesigns.com/servlet/StoreFront

CSUN Plaza Del Sol Tickets
Special 25% discounted subscriptions priced tickets

ORCH ROW D CENTER
Ed Asner in FDR, Sat., Oct. 9, 2010
Romeo & Juliet, Wed., Oct. 27
Moscow Symphony, Nov. 1st at new Performance Hall
John Doe and The Sadies, Sat., Nov. 20
OK to buy just one pair. Call Joan at (818) 522-9490 or luvsailing1@hotmail.com.

Find Kid Friendly Events in LA
Looking for something to do with your kids today? Visit www.lulubel.com/events.php for a list of kid-friendly events happening each day around LA. Have you been wanting to incorporate green living in your household, but are not sure where to start? Visit www.lulubel.com  and subscribe for weekly information on creating a healthy and eco-friendly life for your family. Have an event you would like to share, email them at contact@lulubel.com.

Photographer Leads
David Miller Photography Studios
Referred by Jens List member suedarrison@gmail.com
They are a boutique offering specialty on location Photography services within the Greater LA area. Book a Portrait sitting before October 31, 2010 and receive 10% discount on one of our Print Packages or a $30 coupon towards prints or enlargements of your choice. Book a Bar Mitzvah or Wedding before October 31 and receive 25% off a third album or a coupon for a free 2 hour portrait or engagement sitting valid till January 1 2011. Call 323-770-3697 for more information about the Print Package Specials for Family and Kids Portraiture as well as events both seasonally and year round. www.millerfolio.com

Fall Portraits with Edwin and Nancy
Introducing Our Fall 2010 Specials! Save $240! One of our favorite times of the year is the fall. The smell of fresh pumpkin pies and the aromas of cinnamon and spice! Harvest “Mini” Portraits $ 100 ($4.35 tax)(Normal portrait session $200.00)
   * 30-45 Minutes of session time
   * 50 4×6 prints of your favorite image to share with everyone you love! (valued at $40)
   * A choice of 3  harvest templates for your  favorite image!
   * Gallery to view your images
Go to www.edwinandnancy.com or email info@edwinandnancy.com

Fine Art Portraits
Unique fine art portraits from award winning photographer Lorne Resnick. From the initial sitting to the fine art print to the final frame. Pregnancy progressions (an image each month), newborns, kids and couples. Email  Lorne@lorneresnick.com for more info.
http://lorneresnick.com/portraits/

Documentary Style Pix
Staci DePatie will be taking documentary style pix of your family at the Underwood Farm-Moorpark & the Camarillo Ranch.It’s a 40 min. long photo session & 2 weeks later you will get a photo CD, for $75-farm or $85-barn.You could enjoy interacting with your family & perhaps use these photos for your holiday card. Place & times: Farm:10/10 9-12, 10/16 11-1,10/24 9-12,10/29 4-6 Barn:10/2 10-12, 11/13 10-12 11/21 2-4. Call 818-324-7442 or email littlemonkeybusiness@mac.com for more info.
www.littlemonkeybusiness.net

Maternity, Family and Wedding Photographer
Dee with Shutterdee Photography is a lifestyle photographer in the San Fernando Valley area. At the moment she’s taking bookings for the end of the year family sessions (before the holidays start and holiday card printing runs like crazy) and booking 2011 weddings! Please visit her website to see her portfolio and to book your maternity, family, wedding, or event sessions!
www.shutterdee.com

Kids Rock Photography
Debi at Kids Rock Photography has a remarkable ability of relating to children and capturing moments parents could only dream about. She has worked alongside celebrities like Madonna, Mariah Carey and P.Diddy, but it was her love for children that made her walk away from the limelight and focus on the joy of photographing children. Debi is an on-site photographer that will come to the location of your choice. Call today and mention this ad to get $50 off your session!
www.kidsrockphotography.com

Chatsworth Hills Academy Open House & Family Picnic
Saturday, October 16th from 12-2 p.m.
Come lunch, tour, activities and more. The teachers won more Unforgettable Educator awards than any other school, 100% of the middle school students got into every high school to which they applied last year and they were again voted “Best Private School”. See for yourself why CHA is the best school for your child.  Preschool – Grade 8.
21523 Rinaldi Street, RSVP (818) 998-4037
www.chaschool.org

Valley Beth Shalom Day School
Open House for Prospective Parents Grades K-6
Thursday, October 14th at 9:15am
Inspiring the Mind, Nurturing the Heart, Changing the World
SmartBoards in every classroom, laptops & award winning robotics. A personal connection with Judaism & love of Jewish values. Caring for the environment, taking care of the elderly. Day School students are inspired to make the world a better place. RSVP to our Director of Admissions Cindy Goodman at 818-788-2199 or cgoodman@vbsds.org.  

Youth Basketball Team-Fall Session
SoCal Venom Basketball is an emerging club basketball organization aimed to help youth players aged 9-15 improve their basketball games. The Fall session started Septemeber 1st, and Venom is currently looking to add to the basketball family. Venom is considered a “travel” organization, the highest level of youth basketball offered in the area. It is far more intense and knowledge-packed than your typical city league. For more information contact Coach Persin @ 818-309-9027.
www.socalvenom.yolasite.com 

Party Perfect Party Planning
Are you too busy or stressed out to plan a party for your kids? Leave all the hassle to Summer! She throws amazing, gorgeous parties and takes care of every detail, from planning and purchasing supplies to putting up decorations and providing food. She also  makes gorgeous custom fondant cakes that taste amazing for an affordable price. Check out her new website to see all the services she offers, pictures, pricing, and contact information.  www.summerspastryperfect.com